Sunday, March 15, 2020

Arlington; Sunnyside Branch - Week 28

9 March 2020

Hey fam, what's good?


This week was pretty crazy town.

It started really slow, but on Wednesday we had Zone Conference and ever after that, the week has flown.

So Corona wasn't a huge deal last Monday, but by Wednesday when we showed up to Zone Conference it was. Hahaha. Last time I heard, there have been 12 deaths and who knows how many cases in our mission. Crazy town. There are a couple people in our area who have gotten sick, too. By a couple, I mean a lot. Hahaha. We were talking to a sister in our ward and she said that when the CDC did tests on the first corona cases here in Washington, they found that the corona here is a bunch of steps older than the corona that was in Asia, basically suggesting that before they even found the "first case" covid-19 had been in WA for around 6 weeks. Also Everyone and their dog in our area has "a cold" right now that I'm almost positive is Corona. Hahaha. No one wants to go get checked because they are all so positive that it isn't Corona Virus, but I'm like 10/10 positive half of WA has already gotten it. So that's the tea.

Also there is basically a shortage on everything out here. Hand sanitizer, toilet paper, and water. People straight up think it's doomsday. The hand sanitizer makes sense, but TP and water? Anyway. Hahaha.

Enough of the Corona talk. I'm sure all you people who watch the news are sick of it.(:

Other than that things have been pretty great. Zone Conference was really good. We talked all about how we can use our strengths to share the gospel in normal and natural ways. I loved it, because when I first got to the mission I thought I had to fit this mold of what a missionary is and that's just not the case. I was sent to Everett, WA because WA needs Sofia Jimenez.



I've definitely changed, but what I've realized is that it isn't about fitting the missionary mold, it's about becoming a disciple. If we're out here just trying to conform we're going to go back home and turn right back into the person we were when we left, which is fine I guess. lol actually jk it TOTALLY isn't. I'm not out here consecrating a whole year and a half, 24/7 of my life to go back to Herriman, Utah the same old Sofie I was when I left. That would be a joke. I'm out here to change my nature, I'm tryina' go from Charmander to Charizard, ya know what I mean? (I didn't... so I had to look it up - its a Pokemon reference - I should have figured with Sofia...) And the only way that happens is through the daily use of the atonement of Jesus Christ. That's what the mission is about. I'm not out here to be a missionary I'm out here to become a disciple through sharing the gospel.

Anyway. Food for thought. Zone Conference was the best. It was also straight-up Christmas because I got packages and mail and MY MOM SENT ME COOKIES AND SLIME. The best. Now if I get isolated I will be more than entertained. Hahaha. Thanks, momma.




The work is going steady. We have a couple really solid friends that have a lot of potential. We just need to actually meet with them. Appointments just keep canceling on us, so it's been rough, but ya know. That's the mission life.

Now I'm tryina' talk about Hermana Mora today. The one and the only. The woman is a legend. Hahaha. We had a dinner appointment yesterday and she made us pasta, torta de pierna, and watermelon. It was amazing. I think my new favorite food is Hna Mora's Torta de Pierna. Imagine a cubano, but spicy and 2x more delicious. Haha.

At an appointment this week with a member they told us this wild story of how they know the church is true. So when they were little, their little sister got hit by a car. It was really bad and took off the whole left side of her face. The medics thought she was dead and put her in the morgue, but when her dad went looking for her among the dead she straight up, sat up, and asked for Posole. Crazy town. Anyway. Her dad takes her to the hospital and she ends up getting a sickness from one of the transfusions she received that would affect her for the rest of her life, but, she survived. And ever after that, this member's sister had experiences with spirits visiting her. Still, when they were young, her sister would recount to her that she received visits from these students from a strange place called "Utah" who's bus got hit by a train and they died. When they came to visit, their countenances glowed and they had magnificent gowns on. The member one day asked her to draw what one of the gowns looked like and was completely astonished at the sight. Well, time passed and the member's sister died from the sickness she contracted from the transfusion. The member parted ways with her old home and eventually received the restored gospel in WA. She learned about baptisms for the dead and desired to be baptized for her sister. 

The member prepared the whole week for the temple by praying to be able to receive a witness that what happened in the temple was true and good and that her sister was there.

Another sister picked her up to take her to the temple, and they set off. When she got to the temple, they gave her clothes to change into. She left, changed, and as she was walking to the baptistry, she accidentally ran into the sister who brought her to the temple. When she looked up to say sorry, the sister was wearing the exact dress that her little sister had drawn for her years and years ago. The member was shook. Then in the baptistry, she had a vision of her sister with a complete, healthy, body telling her that she was still there and that she was in the right place. Crazy town.

Anyway, she found out that Utah is the headquarters of the church, too, and was shook about that and then recently, she found a news article from way back when of a bus of college students that got hit by a train in Utah. Full circle. Hahaha. Pretty crazy, though. 

Anyway, I think I'm done with this email. Hahaha.

Thank you for all of your prayers, I can really feel them.

I love you,

God loves you a whole lot more,

Hna Jimenez



PS: Kaylee Jenson you better email me about your mission call!!!

Pics from Zone Conference :)






No comments:

Post a Comment

Arlington; Sunnyside Branch - Week 30... The News

23 March 2020 Hello friends and family! I have felt all your love so strongly this week. Thank you so much for your prayers and emails...